A new low for British politics

There’s a level on which we can blog about today’s events at the Tory Conference.

1. We can do the usual blogger thing about them all being crooks, all insane and so on and while it’s true, perhaps the senses become dulled to such posts day after day.

2. Then there is a different level, a level where you see something so out of order that the jaw drops. This transcends parties, it really does and I’d be down on whatever party leader or aspiring leader did it.

Let me quote some people on it [you might need to press Ctrl + to read it in large enough print]:

leave tories 2

reason to leave tories

Put aside the vote UKIP thing for now because I don’t wish to distract from what actually happened today.  UKIP is an issue we can discuss another day, e.g. october 9th.

Coming back to this – from a sitting Prime Minister at his party’s conference, can you recall such graceless behaviour, such indecent language and such slovenly dress, say in the last two decades?

Sure we’ve seen gaffes, lies, sleaziness [Blair] and we’ve seen poor performances. But have we seen such out of touch, childish behaviour?

And one of his own henchmen calling those those with conservative views traitors and the party is well rid of them – who would wish to stay in such a party?  It’s certainly not conservative.

So, we are faced with two levels of political thinking here for 2015:

1.  There is the real level whereby we shouldn’t vote for any of them – vote for some independent – and let’s turn the political scene here upside down.  Nothing wrong with that.

2.  Then there is the immediate reality and that is that there is a GE coming up and we can’t get a revolution started so quickly.  Thus we’re faced with a Tory v Labour thing – not in our eyes, no, but in the eyes of the majority [see the polls].

Now given that no one sane could vote Beaker in to do to us what Blair/Brown did again, then that only leaves Cameron/Boris.

I freely admit to having voted Conservative for many years.  it took a hit in 2007 when Cameron crowbarred his way in but then in 2010, with his sell out on the EU, that was the end of it for me.

Today though was the lowest point I think to which the party has sunk  and I wouldn’t mind betting a lot of Tories in Birmingham are muttering not kind things this approaching evening.

And where does that leave you, the voter, next May?  I’m not one for not voting – I think we have to use the vote, even if it’s on some local independent.  Or UKIP.  Or whatever.  But in all seriousness, how could you, in sound mind, vote for either of these Big Two?

12 comments for “A new low for British politics

1. September 30, 2014 at 5:14 pm

To paraphrase, a Tory who doesn’t defect to UKIP is like someone who sticks his fat arse on the hose of a vacuum cleaner and tells Juncker to switch it to full suction. In no time at all he’s been emptied of everything vital.

2. September 30, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Well, the potential defectors are being smeared anyway, despite not actually having defected. And they’re being smeared by their ‘colleagues’ who are demanding loyalty. So the Tory Faithful are prepared to throw their colleagues under the bus for something they’ve not done, while expecting loyalty from them?

How authoritatian and anti-habeas corpus. How very like the Conservative Party.

The potential defectors might as well defect anyway. They can then provide UKIP with all the Conservative Party secrets they’ve been privy to. Wouldn’t that be poetic justice?

On Mark Reckless’s defection, it says a lot about Farage’s ability to keep a secret. The slot during which Reckless spoke was designated as a half-hour slot for Farage, who had somehow managed to keep this amazing prize a complete and utter secret, right up to the last minute. I wonder which of Cameron and Farage the Queen would be most comfortable with as a keeper of secrets.

3. September 30, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Ian – yes. Faustie:

They lost the plot today.

4. September 30, 2014 at 6:17 pm

in my experience you don’t demand respect, you earn it and neither Camoron or Boris no brain has ever done anything to earn any respect from me or anyone else.
    Both are charlatans, both are liars, both are sleazy and both are unpleasant I would like to see them both explode in a shower of their own shit and die in pain and hideously.
    I was a Tory voter most of my voting life, my family are a long term conservative supporters and both my parents are involved at local level as conservative councillors. I am sick to death of the tories I am sick to death of politics in it’s current form and the current main parties offer nothing. But I too believe we should use our vote. I just wish they would introduce a NONE OF THE ABOVE OPTION to the ballot paper because quite frankly thats the option I would pick. Just to give them all a massive kick in the pants.

• September 30, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Needs everyone to agree to do it, so they get in on about 5% of the vote.

• September 30, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Agreed but if enough people opted for none of the above and they did get in on only 5% of the vote it would send a clear message to them.
        As voter numbers are falling so dramatically at every election something has to be done to re-engage the voting public or they will be getting in on 5% anyway if turnout drops enough.

5. James Strong
    September 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm

What did Cameron say and what was the language that you object to?
    Your post doesn’t tell me that.

• September 30, 2014 at 8:44 pm

James, sorry, had forgotten that quite a few readers are not in the UK.

Boris was on about fornicating with vacuum cleaners [yes, not putting you on] then he thought holding up a brick was fun. Cameron called Reckless a fatarse.

Most statesmanlike, both of them.

6. Voice of Reason
    September 30, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I have been told that, in Russia, you can vote against someone. If enough people do so, they are barred from elective office for a period.

• Lord T
      October 1, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Isn’t it ironic that Russia sounds a better place for a democracy than the UK.

7. Twenty_Rothmans
    September 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm

@Voice of Reason

Ancient Greece, also.

8. Viscount Rectum
    October 1, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I would rather have sex with a vacum cleaner than with Boris if I did his arse would be so slack he would need a rebore.