Not a single F”#***ing penny!

Very shortly, the whole 50-odd million of us who live in England  will wake up to find that, if they visit a supermarket, they will have been the victims of a massive robbery, and they will not be able to complain, or alert the authorities, because this particular crime has been perpetrated by Parliament. Courtesy of Nick Clegg, the alleged MP, along with a staunch follow-up crew from the Daily Mail, they ran a campaign to make everyone who shops at English supermarkets BUY the plastic bags at 5p a pop, with an estimated turnover profit of around £90 million, per year.

These pricks who obviously have never been near a supermarket, and thus have never had to carry their own purchases to a car, have built this Tax to hit everyone but them, and its all for such a good cause!

Whether the so-called environment actually needs protecting is, to my mind, a moot point; what with uniformed Council would-be Nazis jumping on someone for dropping fag-ash on the pavement, but the vast majority recycle the damn things anyway, so what’s the point of making us buy them? Are we going to get our money back if we return or re-use them? I doubt it very much!

aplasticbag2The Act of Parliament which authorises this wholesale garbage goes into such detail as the thickness of the bags, etc., but the one thing it does not stipulate is of course who is going to be the beneficiary of all this lovely cash. The Act primly states that it (the £90-odd million) should go to good causes, so can’t you see the slavering jaws of the greedy clowns from the scum who run the RSPCA, the RNLI, along with the Oxfam Vultures who endorsed the phone campaigns against those who suffer from Dementia; and all the usual suspects as they hammer at the back doors of Tesco, Sainsburys, and the rest, blood in their eyes at the very thought of all that money going up for grabs!

The solution? Use or recycle old bags; buy long-lasting bags, anything: but don’t give 5p, never mind £5.00, to the slavering herd who will be all over the cash, demanding ever more for their f’#**ing so-called blood-sucking Charities!

15 comments for “Not a single F”#***ing penny!

1. Voice of Reason
    July 22, 2015 at 3:03 pm

When I left the UK in 1978, we were still paying for grocery bags.

2. Stonyground
    July 22, 2015 at 7:04 pm

They won’t be getting a penny out of me. I have been using re-usable bags for years.

3. Tcheuchter
    July 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Please leave the RNLI out of it; they do not take government money (much to the government’s annoyance).

• Sniper
      July 23, 2015 at 1:18 am

You beat me to it.

• The Jannie
        July 23, 2015 at 8:29 am

You beat me, too. The RNLI seems to work hard and well precisely because they are free of government interference.

4. Errol
    July 23, 2015 at 6:41 am

Mike, this is becoming a bit more of a rant than content. I appreciate the need to vent, but I’m missing the link between the state supporting ‘charities’ and carrier bag charges.

With so much wrong in the country, the basic problem of government pushing for ever more money to tax (which is all this is) has not been addressed.

5. James Strong
    July 23, 2015 at 7:51 am

As a matter of libertarian theory: libertarians are in favour of voluntary co-operation. Therefore libertarians could reasonably be expected to be in favour of charities like the RNLI.

To call them ‘scum’ as you do in this article doesn’t help your case at all.

I think you should put an addendum up acknowledging the difference between voluntary groupings and state-supported groups that can accurately be described as fake charities.

6. July 23, 2015 at 8:15 am

With an admin’s hat on, I find myself mostly agreeing with the commenters above but on the RNLI, I did a mini-investigation of them during the charities post research and they do have fatcats drawing salaries I don’t think appropriate for what is, after all, a very simple job. I know because I’ve done similar in the past.

Having said that, it’s one of the least worst, shall we say and as a sailor, I’d always give them money.

As for Mike’s rant, we are caught in that libertarian bind – if anyone’s going to censor this, it has to be Julia or me. Julia’s never going to so it’s me.

Hold fire on commenting on my comment here, as it’s being transferred to a post [about 9 a.m. if I can get it written without interruption] and hold fire on commenting on the Mike issue as that will transfer there too.

What does libertarianism tell me I should do? I’ve some pretty strong opinions myself, as readers know but this is a libertarian site.

Think this is important enough as a post. Had another one in mind this morning but think I’ll do this instead.

• July 23, 2015 at 11:50 am

James,

I agree on the RNLI. I thought they were one of the few decent charities too, until I saw a blurb in my train carriage boasting about the work they do overseas to help teach swimming and water danger to children.

At which point I reminded myself charity begins at home…

• wiggia
      July 24, 2015 at 1:29 pm

A brief run through the available accounts for the RNLI shows under the staffing costs and a we rely on volunteers statement that they pay 32 staff between 60k and 134k a year plus pension.

Their average salary rise for the last four years is over 4% per annum, it seems that at the top there is very little difference between the RNLI and any other charity.

7. Furor Teutonicus
    July 23, 2015 at 9:06 am

XX who run the RSPCA, the RNLI, along with the Oxfam Vultures who endorsed the phone campaigns against those who suffer from Dementia;XX

Who endorsed the phone campaign?

RNLI, or just the last in the list?

If the RNLI did, then they are no better than all the others.

If not, it needs to be made clear.

• July 23, 2015 at 9:17 am

Admin cap again – run off my feet this morning. Two near identical comments at 9.04 and 9.06. I presume your second, Furor, was the one you wanted up. 🙄

8. Andrew Duffin
    July 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm

We’ve had this rule in Scotland since last October.

There’s nothing forcing the shops to give the money to charity, and in fact small shops don’t even need to account for the money they get in – I expect it just goes in the till.

Having said which, I know from speaking to people who run a small shop that they usage of disposable bags has gone from a couple of hundred a week to about four.

Oh and like the others said – hands off the RNLI please, they have a definite policy of not taking the State’s shilling, because they don’t want to do the State’s bidding. They are one of the very very few good guys.

9. Furor Teutonicus