If it bain’t broke; don’t fix it!

I am not going to walk the three hundred yards to our local Catholic School Hall, which has temporarily been closed for educational purposes; as it is being used as a place designated for the reception and safe-keeping of votes cast by members of the public, who reside within the area served by the polling station. I am not going to mark my ballot paper, or express my decision to support any of the three candidates for the office of Durham Police and Crime Commissioner for many reasons.

We must ask ourselves if this extra, and extremely expensive level of bureaucracy has achieved anything at all. I do not believe that the PCCs, all over the country, have changed, altered or manoeuvred anything at all in the fields of crime detection, public safety, crime deterrence; or even attitudes towards the Police in general. Has the abolition of the County Council’s Police Authority, democratically peopled at second-hand by members of that Council; and superseded by the PCC: done or achieved anything excepting the expenditure of a great deal of public cash?

The main reason I will be absenting myself from my democratic duties is the overwhelming truth that I have to observe the evaporation of solvent from an insoluble finely ground powder, either natural, synthetic, inorganic or organic film, of a shade which is advertised as Barley White Matt Emulsion, which has been skilfully applied to a seat designed to be used during mealtimes, at a dining table.

8 comments for “If it bain’t broke; don’t fix it!

1. mona
    May 5, 2016 at 9:35 am

Keep this up and I will avoid this website.

• Errol
      May 5, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Keep up humour and sarcasm in the face of statist stupidity? This is why Orphans is a great site. It’d be daft to ‘avoid it’ for stating the truth.

2. Henry Kaye
    May 5, 2016 at 10:58 am

I have noticed over the years that whenever anyone gets into a position of power or authority the first thing they do is to ask: “what can I change”.

3. May 5, 2016 at 11:55 am

It’s a good point, Mike. My first thought was no, one must use one’s vote and I was about to head out and do so at our local community centre.

Then I read this and thought – hey, I’m against this police commissioner thing. There are no councillors up for grabs today here, only that. So, in the next few mins, I must decide.

Mona, the whole point is people can put their points of view, not conform to an OoL dictated stand. It’s a rare thing on a blog – my own is not by any means free – but OoL is. If you don’t like something, write a post about it and I’ll make sure it goes up, under guestposter.

Henry, yes. They should take a leaf out of Sir Humphrey Appleby’s book in this respect: “Masterly inactivity.”

4. PJH
    May 5, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Wouldn’t turning up and spoiling your ballot by writing “None of the above cunts” on it be a better thing to do, thus differentiating the ‘cant’t be bothered to vote’ from the ‘refusing to vote because <reasons>’.

Spoilt votes are counted and recorded and if they start getting a significant number of them then things may change.

• Mudplugger
      May 5, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Spoilt-papers can indeed make a difference.
      In last year’s council elections we had no UKIP candidate, so I ‘spoiled’ my paper by writing “UKIP” across it in large capital letters.
      A week later, one of the candidates (the Lib-Dem actually) commented on that very spoilt-paper in the local newspaper. Guess what – today we’ve had a UKIP candidate standing for the local council in that same ward.
      Who I voted for today remains a secret between me and the Returning Officer, but it seems that at least one of the positively spoilt-papers last year had an impact.

5. May 5, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Well, I did go up there because the local UKIP man was standing. Interesting was this preferential voting, not just one X. I was the only one in the room.

I mentioned the Barnet situation, where people were being asked for their cards. “That’s naughty,” she said, “they can’t do that.”

6. Voice of Reason
    May 5, 2016 at 2:13 pm

We actually have a student studying how paint dries.