A momentary gesture which turns it all on its head

Here is the speech itself and a darned good speech it is too:

Below is Pence turning, once Ryan walks off and as you can see, Pence deliberately turns in order to make the gesture he does:

pence 1

Whenever he gestured to Trump, he used open hand, Trump’s way is usually to point to the other person. This was neither of those. This, to an establishment figure who refused to endorse Trump, was a symbol well known across the establishment:

pence 2

And it’s a symbol known to many Christians who are opposed to what it symbolizes:

world leaders gestures

All sorts of chestnuts have been trotted out to account for it. For example, Bush said it meant longhorn cattle, the longhorn state.

Berlusconi, the Pope and other world figures are presumably all Texans then, including Sarah Palin and Sarkozy.

I call BS on that – it is exactly what many are trying hard not to agree is so. I put that it is exactly as it says on the label.

Which then brings into question this ‘Christianity’ of Pence’s. We’ve already seen Cruz’s ‘Christianity’ in the past few weeks. Which then brings up the question – does the Donald know fullwell about all this or is he naive?

Matthew 24:24.

6 comments for “A momentary gesture which turns it all on its head

1. Catherine White
    July 21, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I’m not a Christian myself so maybe instead of making these mysterious allusions, why don’t you please explain for the rest of us what *you* think this gesture means, and what exactly is ‘said’ on which ‘label’?

It’s sometimes difficult to discriminate between, for example, the ‘peace’ sign, Churchill’s ‘victory’ sign, the medieval Welsh/English archer’s ‘two fingers’ gesture, which certainly isn’t a peace sign at all, and the side-on ‘scissors’ gesture made by people in social media selfies (I don’t know why).

Also I have to say my late mother was a particularly devout Christian and I don’t think she would automatically have known what this gesture means either.

Do please tell.

• July 21, 2016 at 7:13 pm

This is from an Indian astrologer, Subhabrata Das, on the Mano Cornuto because I wanted a more evenhanded explanation:

Irrespective of origin and purpose of Horned Hand gesture metal fans all over the world have embraced this hand sign as a mystique metallic evil symbol which soon cast its overwhelming spell over millions of fans of the Rock world.

Christian sites ascribe it to Satan or more accurately, Baphomet but there is an Italian amulet which has it as a charm to ward off evil spirits. The use of charms itself, a Christian would point out, is part of the other side anyway.

Another explanation is that it is the neopagan horned god.

Naturally, as with all symbols of that kind, there is an innocuous explanation, there always is. Thus Bush said it was for a sporting team called the longhorns and by extension – the state of Texas itself but that doesn’t quite work when it’s used worldwide.

It’s quite understandable kids are sucked in by the peace and good things explanation but the point is – why was Pence, an express Christian of that age, using it? Why Berlusconi, both Clintons, the church of satan itself?

Urban dictionary [still avoiding Christian sites] says:

used to protect oneself from the “evil eye” or to project the “evil eye” onto someone else

And that’s the whole notion of the devil – the dualism. Yes it protects you from evil but redirects it to the object of your ire. So it is, in their parlance, neither evil nor good. Or alternatively, it is both evil and good.

Either way, says the Christian, there is still evil in it.

The Indian chappy was right in saying the original meaning has lost that meaning and it’s what it is today. It’s a death metal thing, as he says but it’s also much used by the global PTB, it’s a cult symbol of theirs, a sign of recognition, not unlike the Masonic handshake.

And that sort of thing’s been going on since the guild system and before.

• July 22, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Thank you for the explanation.

I should point out that though I am not currently a practising Christian I grew up in an Anglican community and am familiar with the King James Bible and some more modern renditions. I have read the Koran in two different translations (regrettably lacking sufficient Arabic for the original) as well as sacred writings from a number of other cultures; my arguing-buddies have included an Anglican canon and an Orthodox rabbi. My point in all this bragging is that I’m no stranger to matters liturgical and don’t need spoon feeding.

You mention ‘Christian sites’ but do not provide any links, nor any reason for not providing any.

For myself I prefer primary to secondary sources and so I have to ask you where, in any of the Abrahamic scriptures, is this gesture, or the character of Baphomet, mentioned?

• July 22, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Yes, there is at OoL – there was a big furore here some years back about separation of blog and religion, as in France and so I try to minimize the references, unlike my own site, where I just reduce them. Think the message gets through anyway. šŸ™‚

2. July 22, 2016 at 2:58 am

Hmmmmmm.

Secret symbols and secret handshakes are secret, not on full display,

I am a Christian – heck an original – and I do not recognise those finger akimbos as anything to do with the sacred or profane. No christian whinging here. Move along. I do see wannabe ‘hoods’ using it, often sideways, which is just adolescent, black crap rather than anything ‘secret’.

I see all of the above snaps of folks being dim, perhaps ‘hip’, perhaps unwittingly, but harmless.

• July 22, 2016 at 3:15 am

Bless you. Wish I was unaware. It’s no matter.