All hail, the great Gods of the Silicon Chip

I was faced with switching off my tv for the next seventeen-odd days, as the whole segment of broadcasting, apart that is, from the channels which do nothing but broadcast repeats, all day, every day; is doing seemingly nothing but Olympics garbage. If its not boxing, or cycling; its either bloody swimming, women’s football or some muslim druggie running faster than other drugged-up clowns. Yes, its the four yearly cycle of Olympic Crap.

But, I have to confess, I am saved. Access to Amazon Prime, and the series therein; along with a vast library of recorded films courtesy of a Blu-Ray DVD system; and the possibility of access for a full month to the joys of Netflix (House of Cards, here I come), together with my own huge stash of Classical music, which I use for purely medicinal purposes, naturally: and I never need go near a terrestrial tv channel for over two weeks.

All thanks to the great and generous Gods of the Glorious Intel Chip, before whose throne we all bow down (or at least slouch) in gratitude!

6 comments for “All hail, the great Gods of the Silicon Chip

1. Bloke in Wiltshire
    August 6, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Yes. One of the downsides of the Olympics is that all the other networks put out crap as the competition isn’t really there, as the BBC fill up on the exciting archery and dressage and dull “human interest” stories.

I can recommend the following (your tastes may vary):-

Netflix:
    The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Tina Fey written, so if you like 30 Rock, you might like.
    Master of None
    About 5 seasons of Archer
    Recent Films: The Lives of Others, Sicario, Guardians of the Galaxy. Headhunters (brilliant Norwegian thriller)

Amazon:
    The Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle, Alpha House
    Recent films: Edge of Tomorrow, Looper, The Raid and Raid 2 (brilliant Indonesian action films), Bill

• August 6, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Brilliant Indonesian action film?

• Bloke in Wiltshire
        August 6, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Yes. Both are terrific.

2. bobh
    August 6, 2016 at 2:02 pm

You poor thing!

Go on Mike, bite the bullet and get rid of the gogglebox completely.
    We got rid of the TV ten years ago and the shear bliss of not watching the MSM’s liberal left agenda every day is a breath of fresh air.

We buy cheap DVDs at charity shops or boot sales or watch youtube for videos. We surf the net for the news (including an excellent site called Orphans of Liberty)

Its also good fun winding up the TV licence chasers.

3. Henry Kaye
    August 6, 2016 at 3:42 pm

It would seem like a number of people I am avoiding the Olympics like the plague. I’ve already expressed my view of the event so I won’t repeat it here. I have to agree that the normal fare offered by the remaining channels are not watchable. Many years ago, my father had a barber shop and exhibited the local cinema’s programmes. We got free tickets for doing that and I was the one who used them (although probably underage at the time). Today I am thoroughly fed up with films but I do need the TV for the sports coverage (other than the Olympics!) I have at some time or other played football, cricket, tennis, golf and snooker and I like to see the TV coverage. Which is not to say that I approve of that coverage. I have tried on many occasions to tell the broadcasters what is wrong with their coverage but it is seemingly impossible to talk to them. They are not interested in the customers. And, of course, like Mike I have my classical music – lots of beautiful music on CDs or recorded from the occasional (VERY occasional) broadcasts. I guess it’s different things for different folks.

• mona
      August 6, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Sorry did you mean plague? which one? lets have a competition to see which country can bring home the most diseases from Brazil and what country will have the most victims of crime.