Strangers on a train – a tweeted tale of Doris

All the poor sods out there in those elements yesterday and here was I, safely tucked away at home.

I did actually have to go into town but looking out of the window, saw some debris flying past it and thought … hmmmm.

I mean, while storm damage for us is usually wheelie bins toppling over, you don’t necessarily want to meet one of those in the face in the middle of the street.

So, thought I’d go online and check Twitter, see how others were dealing with Doris:

That made the birthday yesterday. Not going to tell you which milestone.

7 comments for “Strangers on a train – a tweeted tale of Doris

1. February 24, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Many happy returns! 🙂

2. John in cheshire
    February 24, 2017 at 7:04 pm

I was speaking to my local jeweller this morning about Doris day and she told me that her son wanted to get home from London but couldn’t without taking some godawful circuitous route and had to stay overnight in London. Apparently not enough train drivers were willing to take out their trains. Two things came to mind:
    1. How many travelers were like him and couldn’t make it home, being forced to spend money they hadn’t budgeted for, and
    2. The bloody rail companies must have had adequate forewarning of the weather conditions so why hadn’t they made the necessary preparations. And if these bloody train drivers wouldn’t do their job, why wasn’t the Ronald Reagan solution used; sack them all and make them reapply for their jobs?

As it was, I had a long standing arrangement to meet a friend for a drink, three stops away but we had to cancel because the trains had stopped running. This in Cheshire. I can’t believe it, and they never change and we keep putting up with their crap.

• February 24, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Julia – mercy buckets.

John – they do never change, never learn, never adjust.

• February 26, 2017 at 7:04 am

I’m inclined to cut the railways some slack here – they can certainly cut back trees on their property, but can’t do much about trees on private land. Or about plastic sheeting and trampolines left unsecured, to be blown into cables.

About all they CAN do is have rail replacement buses on standby for the inevitable.

3. The Jannie
    February 25, 2017 at 9:40 am

My favourite quote on the blow was a railway announcement I read somewhere yesterday:

“Wrong kind of leaves on the line – they’re still attached to the trees.”

• February 26, 2017 at 7:05 am