Even allowing for the MSM use of the word ‘could’, there are still disturbing things in this article:
1. In a tricky-dicky move, retire the old boss and bring in a new, grinning one who “redefines” all previous agreements coz he’s not responsible for what some predecessor agreed to.
2. “BT is appealing to the fund’s trustees and telecoms unions to agree to end accruals in its defined-benefits pension scheme.”
Yes – agreed benefits, ones signed for on the paper.
3. “which BT fears are becoming increasingly unaffordable and threatening its ability to invest in broadband upgrades.”
Yes – agreed benefits, those signed for on the paper. Irrelevant if BT couldn’t run a whelk stall and made bad deals, point is that they made those agreements, they were guaranteed and people planned retirement on that basis.
Irrelevant that Generation X and Millennials moan about it – they were agreed benefits, ones signed for on the paper.
4. “informal talks to try to stop the bill rising further”
What sort of mealy-mouthed double talk is that? An agreement is an agreement.
5. “It’s about the viability of the business.”
No, it’s about paying what you agreed to.
6. “Many blue-chip companies have sought to reduce their pensions burden in recent years.”
Yes, cap it for newbies, don’t allow new people onto it but what you agreed to pay already – you must pay, in full.
7. “that are already significantly more generous than those available to younger members”
Stuff younger members – an agreement is an agreement. And what’s ‘generous’ got to do with an agreement?
8. “BT declined to comment.”
Poor service anyway
1. Internet speeds are woeful and I’m on the new super-duper Infinity or whatever they call it – ‘bathtub’ internet I call it.
2. I’ve had not one but three glossy brochures urging me to sign up for something new so they can reduce service further – what is the cost of those brochures UK wide times three?
3. They’re putting sneak charges into the bill for things I never used. I’ve just paid the last one and there they were, these charges, hidden away.