Lightbulbs

Now, this EU directive to change halogen to LEDs, these are my light sources, aside from the sun:

I don’t have a great issue with the tech, I like the current curly spiral ones, they take a while to light up but are then fine, my lekky bill is fine. I have LEDs on the boat.

It’s the “directives” I object to.

You?

13 comments for “Lightbulbs

1. john in cheshire
    August 12, 2018 at 8:12 am

The pack on the right reminded me of the Two Ronnies sketch ; fork ‘andles.

I’ve read reports that LEDs are hazardous to health and can cause eye damage. I don’t know how true that is.

2. The Jannie
    August 12, 2018 at 11:02 am

I converted the fluorescents in my caravan to great bundles of LED strips. The light is so poor that I’m now looking for an alternative which doesn’t cost a fortune. Boat owners can feel free to sympathise as their kit prices are comparable to caravan parts in their ludicrousness!

3. Stonyground
    August 12, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I like the LED bulbs, they are much brighter than the fluorescent ones and last longer than the incandescents although the latter are much cheaper. As for the EU Directive, it just shows how we made the correct decision when we voted to leave.

4. Ripper
    August 12, 2018 at 3:31 pm

It depends with LEDs. The LED chip can last for around 50,000 hours but there is a driver circuit in the bulb base and that is the weak point. I have LED bulbs throughout my house and some of them have packed in within a month. Others are getting on for 3/4 years old.

5. Stonyground
    August 12, 2018 at 6:28 pm

I have some decorative light fittings that have five small bulbs in them. For some reason, this type of light fitting tends to eat incandescent light bulbs. Bulbs would fuse just about every week and I would have to keep a drawer full of spares. Once Suitable LED bulbs became available I replaced them one by one and the problem is now solved. Elsewhere in the house I had incandescents that had been there for years. I replaced them with LEDs because they are brighter and use less energy.

6. Mudplugger
    August 12, 2018 at 8:38 pm

I have at least three incandescent bulbs which have never been changed in the 32 years I’ve lived here – and one of them is in an external light-fitting, so hardly a gentle environment. They were here when I moved in, so may even be more than 40 years old now.

(Chances are some/all of those will now fail tomorrow!)

7. Pcar
    August 12, 2018 at 9:43 pm

@James

I use all types where I want.

The directives aka bans are wrong – my house, my choice, my bill.

Also the “less efficient” incandescents produce heat which in UK is more often than not useful not waste. Same as kettles, toasters, vacuum-cleaners etc. Brain-dead sheeple don’t realise this.

8. Pcar
    August 12, 2018 at 9:48 pm

@James

Edit back – thanks

Stored name & email still missing

9. Stonyground
    August 13, 2018 at 7:20 pm

The directive regarding kettles is particularly stupid. It is very basic primary school level physics that it takes the same amount of energy to boil a given amount of water whatever the power of your kettle is.

• opsimath
      August 14, 2018 at 12:36 am

Quite so. q = mcθ if my memory serves. The power of the kettle is irrelevant.

• woodsy42
      August 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm

But this is the EU. It’s not about kettles. It’ll be about moves to standardise domestic wiring loadings and ultimately EU wide building regs. Continental socket circuits are single feed fused at 10 amp not our 15 amp rings. hence a 2.2 KW appliance limit in mainland Europe and 3kw here.

10. Pcar
    August 14, 2018 at 9:51 pm

@woodsy42

Interesting. A proposed directive?

Any links to that?

• August 15, 2018 at 6:48 am

Not now, might have been at the time of the post.