That’s Because You Pay The Vet…

Mr Roderick, who has a herd of pedigree Herefordshire cattle and 100 sheep on his 85 acres, said: ‘If I call the vet out to one of my calves they are usually here within an hour. But we had to wait for almost five hours after making a 999 call and by that time it was too late.’

…but the taxpayer pays the NHS, so who cares if they do a good job or not? They get paid regardless!

Similarly, if I ring my vet for an appointment, it’s ‘Certainly madam, when would you like to come?’ Whereas my mum has rung for a GP appointment three times in three successive days, only to be told on each occasion ‘The lists aren’t out yet, call back tomorrow’.

Privatise this useless white elephant. Now. Make them sek out our custom, not sit on their arses getting paid regardless of results.

10 comments for “That’s Because You Pay The Vet…

1. john in cheshire
    April 10, 2019 at 11:25 am

I agree and have thought so for over 30 years.

• April 10, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Phew, major topic. Utilities are privatised – greedy bstds.

2. Mudplugger
    April 10, 2019 at 3:17 pm

It’s not privatisation that makes the difference, it’s turning ‘users’ into ‘customers’ that needs to happen.
    The NHS is the worst of the lot because, in the NHS, you’re known as a ‘patient’ and that’s what you’re expected to be: very, very patient.
    But until some hard-cash changes hands at the point of delivery, neither side will ever fully understand their respective roles in the transaction.

• john in cheshire
      April 10, 2019 at 8:42 pm

We have to pay to visit the dentist, even for the checkup.

There should be a charge to see the doctor. It would cut out the frivolous time wasters and give some power to the service user, which seems to be missing in the existing arrangement. It would also make the invaders contribute something at least to the cost of the service they are getting for free at the moment.

We should also be able to demand to see a chosen doctor and easily change doctor when not content with the service provided.

• Mudplugger
        April 10, 2019 at 9:00 pm

We certainly agree on the principle, although NHS dentistry isn’t the best example of a customer-orientated co-payment system.
        In some parts of the country where local NHS dental lists are closed, there is no choice available and ‘choice’ is what makes a customer a customer.

3. Pcar
    April 10, 2019 at 11:02 pm

What I find most unsettling/annoying/weak is how so many bend to NHS and make-up pre-prepared excuses as to why eg a 10:00 is not suitable.

Tell the bl00dy truth: work/whatever means I can only attend after eg 15:00 – you’re the customer.

4. FrankH
    April 10, 2019 at 11:35 pm

Three incidents that happened to me this week:
    1. Had a 11:00 am appointment at GP surgery. I turned up at 11:00 am, I was seen at 12:00.
    2. I phoned the hospital to ask about an outstanding appointment: “We’re experiencing a large number of calls. You might want to hang up and call again later” then I was cut off. “You might want to hang up…” implies that I have a choice. 🙁
    3. When I finally got though the following day: “The waiting list for your treatment is 40 to 46 weeks”. I could have had a baby in that time*. 🙁

* I would probably need some help, even if I self identified as a woman. 😉

5. Stonyground
    April 11, 2019 at 7:49 am

With everything mentioned above, and this is typical of everyone’s experience, why do we have a majority of people who still thing that the NHS is wonderful? Their perception seems to be that they don’t have to pay for it. They also seem to under the impression that, in other countries, only wealthy people have healthcare and ordinary people just have to get by without it.

Meanwhile my cats have better access to healthcare than I do.

6. Pcar
    April 12, 2019 at 1:28 am

I find it very strange that parents refuse and consider it wrong to pay even 1p for their child’s examination & treatment

But, will pay £100 for a vet to examine their lethargic goldfish

Child less important?

7. Distant Relative
    April 12, 2019 at 9:13 am

NHS bury their mistakes one way or another….