Whats all this Bull***t* about grief for a building?

I have witnessed, over the seven-odd decades I have been reading and watching newscasts, news reports and radio broadcasts, many times when grief should reign supreme. I was thirteen years old when I read the historical work entitled ‘Scourge of the Swastika’, by Lord Russell of Liverpool. As a compendium of doom, of hatred, of a singular listing of Man’s inhumanity to his fellow Man, it has few equals. I was born during World War 2, I just about remember my father visiting us at home in the indoor bomb shelter where I, along with my mother and my two brothers slept every night of those long war years, but it was only after reading of the actions, philosophies and practices of one Nazi Nation, over those few years of that illusory ‘1,000 Years Reich’; did I actually understand why we went to war, why my father served in the British Army, why my uncle died on the fields of Normandy, alongside many thousands of his fellow Servicemen. Those six-odd years, along with the terrible years before war was actually declared, epitomise, for me, the reasons for Grief. The remaining Jewish remnants of a once vital sector of European civilisation had more than enough reason for their grief; as their fellow Jews were slaughtered for the mere reason that they were Jews!

We all experience grief, for happenings both deeply personal and for those who have lost loved ones in disasters large and small. Grief is a truly human emotion, as we feel a hurt and a loss inside our minds and hearts. My sister died when just sixteen years old. She contracted leukaemia, went from the body of a vital, healthy teenager to a ghost with eyes, in the space of months. Her death shattered my father, and my mother was, truly, never the same again. That was grief, so raw, so immediate, so very understandable. My wider family has suffered similar losses, with immediate family watching as illness or disease eats away at a loved one’s very essence; and have to face the consequences. We are no different to millions more.

As the philosopher stated “Man is born to live, to suffer, and to die, and what befalls him is a tragic lot. There is no denying this in the final end. But we must deny it all along the way.”

As I stated, grief is a human emotion, about other human beings, some close, many more distant, but still, the very instance  of one’s passing causes one or many to grieve, and then to heal, and to move on.

So why are so many talking, writing or commenting about their grief over the devastating fire which has consumed the roof and interior of a Catholic Cathedral in Paris?

In links such as this, or this, or this, or even this: they are writing and talking about a Building. A historic building? Yes, but still built of stone, and timber, and glass and iron. It has no beating heart; it does not possess a soul, or a mind, or indeed a conscience: so why indeed this outpouring of an emotion which should be reserved for humanity?

15 comments for “Whats all this Bull***t* about grief for a building?

1. Mudplugger
    April 16, 2019 at 11:40 am

And yet, they’re launching public appeals for money from poor folk to rebuild what is, in effect, a branch-office of one of the richest and most cynical corporate businesses on the planet.
    The world’s gone mad.

2. Ed P
    April 16, 2019 at 1:47 pm

It’s a very timely and convenient distraction from Macron’s problems with les gilets jaunes, n’est-ce pas?

3. April 16, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Yep, thought the rationalists would entirely miss the point. They did.

• Pcar
      April 16, 2019 at 11:42 pm

Are you referring to above comments?

• April 28, 2019 at 6:51 am

Indeed. A building like this one is more than just a building. It’s a triumph of man’s design.

4. Ed P
    April 16, 2019 at 4:05 pm

I see t’ net is getting feverish about a “Gilet Jaune” seen just before the fire started, walking across a high-level passageway within one of the two front towers.

This highlights the problem with ignorance, combined with opinions and twittery fingers: it’s mandatory on building sites to wear a hard hat and high-visibility jacket!

5. Ted Treen
    April 16, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Old Adolf tried burning the Reichstag in 1933 to put the blame on “diese verdammten Kommunisten”.

Just sayin’…

6. Valentine Gray
    April 16, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Dear Mike, I understand how you feel, it seems my life has followed a similar pathway ,but it is a matter of perception the Nation of France is in a terrible state and they appear lost, if my house caught fire it would mean to little anyone outside the family it is a repository of memories happy and sad, a home and a place of family unity, it seems the French have a psychological home in the Notre Dame. With the atrocities they enduring from the Islamic invasion and the overwhelming power of political correctness I think it would not take to much to turn the Gilet Jaune into a Christian army, an old building just like a war memorial can be sacred and if desecrated may lead to bloody consequences.

7. Pcar
    April 17, 2019 at 12:04 am

Fire: imo French firemen – lots of them, but dearth of effective equipment and constructive action. Water? Seine beside it.

I see Macron is now demanding International Aid to rebuild; no doubt May & Trudeau will “donate” £millions of taxpayers money – Macron should be told to sod off and expect RC Churches/Vatican to fund it.

As for the “grief”, vigils, stand together, etc? Whipped up fake news the gullible feel compelled to join out of fear of exclusion.

Rolling Thunder Sat 13 April – ignored by MSM; I & my ZZR were there

Humour

Quasimodo: The bells, the bells…….

Esmeralda: Run like **** Quasimodo, It’s the fire alarm!

More Humour

8. April 17, 2019 at 3:40 am

Pcar, not ignoring the q but better Brittany replies than I do: http://www.nourishingobscurity.com/2019/04/why-it-is-such-a-loss-for-all-of-us-and-i-do-mean-all/

• Pcar
      April 18, 2019 at 11:13 pm

@James

I’ve watched Brittany Pettibone vid; some good points.

Still don’t get the “grief”; if sad/annoyed/angry – yes. Our headmaster emphasised “You may pray to God anywhere, not only in a church”

Maybe being made homeless when parents’ Country House Hotel (Adam & Pugin stone & wood) burnt down influences me.

God Bless

9. Errol
    April 17, 2019 at 10:10 am

Having been there, it has a majesty, a weight, there’s such beauty, especially when you stand in the central nave and are washed in that glorious stained glass.

Yes, it is a building. Yes, it’s a religious fortress, designed ot intimidate the ignorant masses with the power of god, but it has gravitas. It was here 800 years before I was born and will – I hope – be there 800 years after my death.

It is also staggering architecturally beautiful.

The fire – let’s face it. Some French worker was up there puffing away on a cigarette as they always do and threw it away, thus fire.

Hell, I’ve seen a baby with a smokers cough chucking away and mother, puffing away blows smoke into this child’s mouth, even as the baby recoils and turns in pain. The French are either ignorant of the miserable effects of smoking or else don’t care about anything. Smoking’s a disgusting habit and this is what happens when you it becomes acceptable.

• April 19, 2019 at 2:17 pm

The power of denial is very strong in people. The Mussies had no business being up there, they’ve even avowed to, they have form. Oh look over there, mummy, it’s one of them Asians they talk about.

• April 28, 2019 at 6:52 am

“…it has a majesty, a weight, there’s such beauty…”

Well said.

10. Valentine Gray
    April 17, 2019 at 11:59 am

It was claimed the fire was an accident while it was still burning, so if the conditions that caused the fire were aware of, it begs the question why wasn’t action taken to prevent it ??. Something stinks??