Stands to reason, really.

I have two printed signs stuck to a window next to my front door. They are self-explanatory.

FrontDoor

There remains a constant deluge of unwanted, and of course unread, leaflets and other rubbish pushed through my letter-box. All of the above, as promised by the lower leaflet, goes straight into the recycling bin (very concerned about the Environment).

I spoke to our postie, who sometimes also delivers printed garbage, and asked why he doesn’t take note of the notices? He replied that, in his case, postmaster instructions state that, as the Royal Mail is being paid to deliver the garbage, he has to post it, or lose his job. As to the other squads who roam the streets, pushing Charity begging bags, Pizza lists, Chinese menus and other rubbish repetitively through the same letter boxes week after week; he shrugged and said, “Well, you have to remember, most of the other delivery guys can’t read!

7 comments for “Stands to reason, really.

1. Penseivat
    May 30, 2019 at 5:24 pm

“To all cold callers, I have found God; my roof and guttering is checked, and repaired by a family member; I don’t eat takeaways; my windows and doors don’t need replacing; I like my cracked, tarmac, driveway; my car is serviced for free by the garage that sold it to me; I am not moving or downsizing so, unless you are female, are naked and have beer, please don’t ring the bell. Any leaflets you leave will only make my fire pit light more easily.”

2. May 30, 2019 at 11:13 pm

I just wonder if the post workers who refused to deliver Tommy Robinson’s campaign leaflets would also be facing some kind of sanction.

• Pcar
      May 31, 2019 at 1:16 am

Good point.

As usual Left, Gov’t, Royal Mail PLC will say it’s OK for – reasons. Not convinced Royal Mail PLC shareholders will agree.

3. Pcar
    May 31, 2019 at 1:17 am

@Mike,

You can tell RM you do not want Unaddressed Mail. Postie then has to abide by your instruction.

imo your posters make you a target for junk through letterbox.

4. Bill
    May 31, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Royal Mail only ever delivers to the address, never to the addressee.
    The posties used to get a per leaflet payment for delivering junk mail but their obedient union agreed a deal with management that the payment should be ‘rolled up’ into a pay award so Royal Mail get the dosh not the postie.
    The only way to stop it is to permanently remove/close off the recognisable delivery point aka letterbox then it all gets marked ‘address inaccessible and returned to sender. The postie then has to carry the junk back with her/him or stick double in the neighbours letterbox.
    Junk mail is not unaddressed it is a leaflet drop and as such not covered by Universal Postal Union rules.
    Any envelope/parcel that doesn’t have a Local Council registered address on it aka ‘unaddressed mail’ is returned to sender by one of the sorting offices, usually the one it arrives in.
    All Royal Mail needs is the street name and number (allocated by the Local Council) and its own property, the postcode, to be clearly visible and if these are correct it will deliver the mail.

• Pcar
      June 1, 2019 at 1:44 am

Cough, your word salad fails, are you Barry Gardiner?

This passes

Weekend Humour

Comedian Alistair Williams explains Brexit via Burger King LIVE from Top Secret Comedy Club

5. June 1, 2019 at 10:18 am

You all may be pleased to know that at least one of us here is not harassed by junk mail, feral postmen, religious persuaders, charity beggars, with or without free bags, take-away purveyors, driveway repairers etc.

It’s very quiet here but for the lapping of the waves on the foreshore 500 yards away as the crow flies. Wish you all were here.