Wait, Don’t We Have The Kindle Any More..?

…my first year has exposed the significant wealth disparities between me and other students. While they are comforted by their parents’ financial cushions, I have to think about the risks I take career-wise. I had hoped to pursue journalism. But in the work (sic) is often inconsistent and poorly paid. My privileged counterparts will be able to explore opportunities in the form of unpaid internships; I need a career path that provides monetary stability.

Well, journalism ain’t it, unless you plan to whine incessantly about how the world done you wrong ‘cos you’re black/working class/a woman.

That pays. A bit.

I worry, too, that I do not display the “polish” that many recruiters seek. At one of the first talks I attended at university, the speaker made several references to 17th-century French politicians and compared them with contemporary British MPs. Each of the examples were greeted with bursts of laughter. Did I keep missing the punchline? How was I expected to know the biography of Louis XIV?

Ummm, I dunno. Maybe … buy a book? Read it? Is that an unfamiliar concept?

As I navigate Cambridge, I often feel alienated as student colleagues confidently charm their way through conversations – referencing their favourite poetry by the likes of Keats, Browning and Hardy. I could not name a single title.

So you whine about not fitting in, yet have made no attempt whatsoever to do so? And this is all someone else’s fault?

9 comments for “Wait, Don’t We Have The Kindle Any More..?

1. Ed P
    October 4, 2019 at 11:32 am

Generally those accepted for Oxbridge will have had a broad-based education, including subjects outside of their degree course. Whining about how unfair it is to be ignorant of conversational subjects instead of studying & learning seems rather “Grauniad”. But there’s always the race card to play…watch this space.

• October 6, 2019 at 7:03 am

They never leave home without it…

2. Stonyground
    October 4, 2019 at 12:27 pm
  3. Valentine Gray
    October 4, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Know anything about Sir James Dyson or Sir Richard Branson neither went to Uni, and Branson has dyslexia and useless as an academic, so stop whingeing and count your blessings.

4. Voice of Reason
    October 4, 2019 at 8:19 pm

You want to study journalism, but don’t know literature? I would suspect that you don’t know much science or mathematics either. What do you know?

• October 6, 2019 at 7:04 am

She knows what she needs to know for a modern university – how to claim victimhood!

5. October 5, 2019 at 7:53 am

So, female, and of what, African descent? : Daniella Adeluwoye ‘feels’ she does not fit in.

I would imagine I would not fit in to a Zimbabwe U either, nor know the names and lifestyles of the Zulu Kings.

But I would not whine about it.

Try Hull U like I did 🙂

6. Mona
    October 5, 2019 at 10:36 am

Join the Labour Party dear girl, Diane Abbott, (bless her) a great example of what you can achieve, visually , verbally and scenically challenged, a leading antagonist against intelligent conversation has become one of the most important politicians in Britain. You can carry your inferiority complex to the House of Commons and unload it there,, that is what it is there for.

7. Stonyground
    October 6, 2019 at 11:03 am

I thought that knowing nothing about anything was a required qualification for being a modern journalist. Judging by their output, it seems that actually being aware of any basic facts would preclude you from the job.