One brief moment of sunlight, amidst Covid-19’s gloom.

Over the past four-odd months, we  have watched and mourned our dead, families have, literally, pressed their  faces against windows to say a single ‘farewell’ to a loved one who lay, now unable to speak, in a ‘Care Home’ bed or a Hospital. The numbers  do not climb now;  but once rose so speedily, upon the charts which once gave the sad tidings, but now are less grave. ‘The Lockdowns’ are spoken of as though they will become a thing of the past; but the threat s still there, and all it takes is one foolish gathering, one insignificant party, and the threat is upon us once more. Britain now faces a Recession like no other, and, because our Government enabled it, we have to bear it.

But, in amongst all the economic gloom, amongst the prophets of doom amongst the ‘pubs, football clubs, holiday companies and airlines: all prophesying bankruptcy by mid-July if we have to keep one or two arms length apart; there is a single announcement that brings a warmth and gladness to my thoughts.

Yes indeed, the corona has found just one victim which I  applaud and welcome; Durham Miners Gala has been cancelled.

minersgala

By paul-simpson.org – https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulsimpson1976/2669552570/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25795621

The photograph, as shown, is an incredible testament to the skill  of the photographer and his manipulation of the camera’s ‘aperture and depth of field settings; as anyone who lives in Durham  City would know that the distance between the photographer and the Red facade of the Edinburgh Woollen Mill shop at the very top of the picture is, in fact; over half-a-kilometre

6 comments for “One brief moment of sunlight, amidst Covid-19’s gloom.

1. Valentine Gray
    June 21, 2020 at 12:49 pm

A very interesting statistic to come out of the lockdown ,, Infant mortality rates have plummeted since lockdown which is being put down to children not being vaccinated, if true children’s mortality rates should start to rise with vaccine rates. Worth checking out so may not be all gloom and doom but some sunlight.

2. Penseivat
    June 21, 2020 at 7:05 pm

FtIf it was up to me, and speaking as someone who was born and raised less than 5 miles from Durham, the miners gala should be done away with forever.
    The people of that place showed their true colours when they held a city wide street party on hearing of the death of Margaret Thatcher, arguably the best post war Prime Minister this country ever had.
    Although I didn’t serve in the Falklands, being busy in Northern Ireland, I knew many who did serve there and a few who didn’t come back. I can’t think of any other politician who would have dealt with it in the same way, and restored pride in a country which had lost it’s way.
    That citizens of that country should celebrate her death in such a vindictive and hate fuelled way, sponsored by the Leftwaffe, was typical of the tunnel visioned morons.

• James Strong
      June 22, 2020 at 6:27 am

‘the [Durham] miners gala should be done away with forever’

Of course it should. These people have an annual gathering, a sort of party, and they have a view of the world that is different from mine.

The day after the 2016 referendum on EU membership a man in my street was waving a Union Flag and a St. George’s flag out on the pavement. Later he and his wife were out offering cakes to passers-by and I have heard that they were singing and dancing at times.

I don’t want far-right racist bigots doing that kind of thing near where I live.

And what about open-top bus parades of footbasll teams that win a competition. Most years these competitions are not won by the team I support.

Yet still the fans of those other teams are allowed to crowd the streets and make noise and chant silly songs.

Only people I approve of should be allowed to hold celebratory gatherings.

That’s what I understand by libertarianism.

3. Penseivat
    June 22, 2020 at 3:36 pm

James,
    Your response to my post was absolutely spot on and I unreservedly apologise for it’s content, being as hate-filled, and as tunnel-visioned, as I often accuse the Luftwaffe of being. I have no excuse for it, and can only confirm that posting one’s thoughts after enjoying a goodly quantity of a fine shiraz is not to be recommended.
    In my life, both as a soldier and a front line Police officer, I have witnessed quite a few deaths, some of which I was present at and possibly contributed to. Irrespective of their race, religion, or my personal views of them when they were alive, they were always afforded respect and civility afterwards. “Never speak ill of the dead” was something I still believe in.
    To act like the Durham miners did when Margaret Thatcher died, showed an extreme lack of respect which angered and disappointed me. I spoke at length about this with an old school friend and he told me it was because “Thatcher closed all the mines, and he has hated the Tories ever since.” He didn’t believe me when I showed him that Wilson and Benn closed more mines than were shut down during Thatcher’s government and they were Labour. We no longer speak.
    Anyway, that’s by the by. I was wrong to post what I did in the manner I did, and I’m sorry.

4. Penseivat
    June 22, 2020 at 3:38 pm

“Leftwaffe” not “Luftwaffe”

5. Mudplugger
    June 22, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Of course, if the ‘miners’ hadn’t showered, but held their gala with their faces darkened as befitting their industry, the Police would then turn a blind-eye to their gathering, just like the festering, knee-taking cowards did in Manchester.

Black Raves Matter, apparently.