What Could Go Wrong? Pt 27893584

Twitter has phased out insensitive programming terms that reference slavery after a petition by employees.

According to a report from CNET, engineers successfully convinced Twitter to nix the terms ‘master’ and ‘slave’ which are commonly used in programming language to describe the interaction between different processes.

I thought engineers were usually pretty sensible people who eschewed this sort of grandstanding histrionics?

The policy shift and subsequent call to change insensitive language was prompted by an email sent to employees titled, ‘automatic slave rekick.

Regynald Augustin, a Black programmer who works for Twitter, started the efforts at the company and told CNET, ‘…with ‘rekick’ – I was madder than I ever thought I’d be in the workplace.’

Ah. Another success for the affirmative hiring processes of US companies, clearly…

CNET reports that Augustin and fellow engineer Kevin Oliver have also advocated for transitioning out of using other terminology that might be considered racist or sexist as well.

That includes changing from ‘man hours’ to ‘person hours,’ instead of ‘blacklist’ using the word ‘denylist,’ and changing ‘grandfathered’ to ‘legacy status.’

Oh, well. I’m sure nothing bad will come of it.

7 comments for “What Could Go Wrong? Pt 27893584

1. decnine
    July 10, 2020 at 10:38 am

Scientist dismissed for blogging about black body radiation, white noise, transition elements and binary arithmetic.

2. Mona
    July 10, 2020 at 12:18 pm

I know this is getting out of hand, someone told me the BBC are going to put more Blacks on so will now have Crime Watch every day, I was puzzled by that.

3. Stonyground
    July 10, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Hydraulic braking systems have a master cylinder and slave cylinders. Hydraulic and pneumatic systems have male and female couplings.

That just reminded me of a place where I worked where we had a naive young woman working in the stores who innocently asked a group of engineers why the quick release couplings were referred to as male and female. For a while she looked slightly baffled as we tried tactfully to explain. The moment that the penny dropped was indicated when her little face turned a very deep shade of red.

4. Valentine Gray
    July 10, 2020 at 12:35 pm

Astronomers have been ordered to stop using the term “Black Hole”

5. Mudplugger
    July 10, 2020 at 12:37 pm

How will my clutch slave cylinder work without getting its orders from the clutch master cylinder? Better get an auto-box and sod the environmental impacts.

6. Mona
    July 10, 2020 at 6:33 pm

OMG Boris is doing some Whitewashing. its not going to stop it can’t.

7. July 11, 2020 at 2:09 am

The continued denigration of our public broadcasting organisation has to stop. We should no longer allow subordinate letters describe it but elevate to their rightful place the letters AA and A